Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cancer....Shmancer!

I received a call yesterday that my dad's cancer has booked a return engagement. He had throat cancer about 2 years ago and they thought they got it all in round one. He had extensive surgery, luckily stopping just short of removing his voice box. This time around, he had an ear ache and they went one step further to be sure of the cause.

They did several biopsies and they all came back positive. This is on the other side of the neck and there is concern it is in his lungs. He goes to the Cleveland Clinic tomorrow to see what they can do, if anything. Their initial thought is that any surgery would involve breaking his jaw....not pleasant. Not that being full of cancer will be very pleasant either...they just don't think at this point there is much they can do.

Now, ever since my parents divorced, I have not been as close to my dad. My boys don't know him well, he and his wife do not participate much in the lives on any of their grandkids. I went through a time where I called weekly, sent pictures of the boys, and made sure they saw him. But, they never returned the favor, so I sort of stopped. Although I resent that at times, he is still my dad. He is still the boys' grandfather. This still sucks!

My mom is going through her own hell lately, so I guess it is time to hang on. It's going to be a rough month or so! (Maybe I'll start drinking....yes...START!)

2 comments:

nikko said...

Oh Mar! This is such bad news. I am so sorry. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Hugs!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your dad, will pray too, although I already pray for you every day, with those kids of yours! :)
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll be checking on you.